by WorldTribune Staff, March 9, 2018
Egypt’s intensified campaign to eliminate the Sinai insurgency has resulted in the killing of 105 terrorists in the last month, a report said.
Egyptian army spokesman Tamer Al-Rifai said Operation Sinai 2018, launched on Feb. 9, has been widely successful and Egyptian forces are carrying out the operation “with high morale,” according to a report by the Al-Ahram newspaper.
Most terror attacks in the Sinai Peninsula in recent years have been claimed by the Sinai Province, Egypt’s ISIS affiliate.
Egypt has been under a state of emergency since April last year, after two suicide bombings at churches claimed by ISIS killed at least 45 people in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria.
Rifai said that 16 army personnel have been killed and 19 others have been injured during Operation Sinai 2018.
The army has located and destroyed five tunnels, two communication and broadcast centers, 41 4×4 vehicles, 387 motorcycles, 471 IEDs in addition to large amounts of TNT and plastic explosives, added Rifai.
The army has also destroyed 1,907 targets used as shelter by terrorists, as well as storehouses containing medical equipment, weapons, ammunition, mines and materials used in manufacturing improvised explosive devices, Rifai said.
Rifai added that there is no timetable on when the operation will conclude.