The artillery strike on the presidential palace on June 3 was said to
have seriously injured Saleh. Eleven presidential guards were killed and
five officials were injured when a rocket struck the mosque in the
"He is in good health and able to make decisions," Yemeni Deputy
Information Minister Abdul Janadi said on June 4.
Yemeni Vice President Abdul Rabbu Mansour Hadi was said to have taken
over power in Sanaa. Officials said Hadi ordered Yemeni security forces to
return to their bases.
Saudi Arabia said it would treat all of those injured in the rocket
attack. Officials said that so far Yemen's prime minister, two deputy
premiers as well as the speakers of the two houses of parliament were
hospitalized in Riyad.
Officials said the president, who withdrew from previous agreements for
his resignation, has sustained burns as well as injuries from shrapnel. They
said they could not assess how long Saleh would remain in Saudi Arabia.
"The rocket was devastating," Yemen's ambassador to Britain, Abdullah
Ali Al Radhi, said. "It was a clear assassination attempt against the
The Yemeni opposition said it would honor the Saudi-arranged ceasefire.
But opposition sources said they were concerned that the regime would remain
under control of Saleh's sons.