Officials said the administration of President Barack Obama has been
closely monitoring the Shi'ite unrest in Bahrain. They said security has
been reinforced around the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet, responsible for
operations throughout the Gulf and Red Sea.
"So far, this is not about us yet," an official said.
Also In This Edition
Officials said the Defense Department and State Department have been in
constant contact with the Bahraini kingdom amid the Shi'ite riots around
Manama. They said the administration was urging the Sunni regime to avoid a
bloody confrontation with the protesters in wake of the death of two
Shi'ites.
"The United States welcomes the government of Bahrain's statements that
it will investigate these deaths, and that it will take legal action against any unjustified use of force by Bahraini security forces," State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said on Feb. 15. "We urge that it follow through on these statements as quickly as possible."
In 2010, the Fifth Fleet launched a project to expand its headquarters
in Bahrain. The project included the takeover and modernization of an
antiquated civilian port designed to accommodate large naval vessels.
So far, the Shi'ite opposition, which took over a square in Manama, has
demanded major political reforms. But officials said the Shi'ite faction in
parliament, which controls about half of the 40 seats, has constantly
criticized the U.S. military presence in Bahrain.