CAIRO Ñ Morocco has foiled another plot to
launch a wave of suicide bombings in the North African
Moroccan security sources said the plot by Al
Qaida-related elements called for a string of suicide
attacks in Rabat. The targets were said to have been
public places frequented by Westerners.
The sources provided few details of the plans by
the insurgents. But they said the plot was foiled in
an operation that combined the police and the royal
intelligence agency. At least three people have been
captured in connection with the plot.
Moroccan authorities have arrested hundreds of
Islamic suspects since the May 16 suicide bombings in
Casablanca. About 100 people have been tried on a
range of offenses termed as terrorists both in
Casablanca and other cities, Middle East Newsline reported.
Al Qaida agents have been operating in several
Moroccan cities as part of the plan to resume suicide
bombings in the kingdom. The sources said the
investigation that foiled the Rabat bombings also took
place in the cities of Sla and Thabit.
The Al Qaida ring arrested was believed linked with
Pierre Richard, who was convicted of terrorism
offenses earlier this year. Among the suspects in the
latest Al Qaida plot was Hassan Al Zaytouni, brother
of Nur Eddin Al Zaytouni, a key operative in the
The sources said the Sla cell was said to have
relayed money and other support for the families of
Moroccans who were killed in the U.S. war in
Afghanistan in 2001 and 2002. The sources did not
elaborate on the Sla cell's links to the Rabat suicide