Special to WorldTribune.com
ABU DHABI — Hundreds of Saudis have been fighting each other in the Al Qaida war in Syria.
A Saudi jihadist reported that Saudis were being forced to kill each other as part of the war between two Al Qaida factions.
The jihadist, Suleiman Al Subaie, said Saudis were recruited under false pretenses and then forced to join the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which over the last year killed thousands of Sunni rebels as well as fighters from the rival Nusra Front for the Defense of the Levant in northern Syria.
“What is amazing is that Saudis are killing fellow Saudis in the fighting between ISIL and Nusra Front,” Al Subaie said.
In an interview on Saudi television on March 5, the 25-year-old Al Subaie disclosed the extent of the Al Qaida war in Syria. Al Subaie, who arrived in Syria in August 2013, recalled his recruitment in Saudi Arabia and travels to Syria.
“I went to Qatar, from where I travelled to Turkey,” Al Subaie, whose brother was killed in Syria, said. “Upon my arrival, I was told that I have now become a member of ISIL.”
Al Subaie fled Syria for Turkey and arrived in Saudi Arabia in early
2014. He has been held under a new Saudi law that bans its citizens from
joining foreign wars.
Al Subaie said ISIL exploited him and used his Twitter account to
destabilize Saudi Arabia. He said the account, which communicates with
thousands in Saudi Arabia, incited attacks against the royal family and
“The situation in Syria is not as portrayed in the media,” Al Subaie
You must be logged in to post a comment Login