Israeli security official terminated following Mumbai massacre
JERUSALEM — The counter-insurgency adviser to Israeli Prime Minister
Ehud Olmert has been dismissed in wake of an attack by an Al Qaida affiliate on
Israelis in India.
Brig. Gen. Nitzan Nuriel was dismissed from his post as head of the
Counter-Terrorism Bureau on Dec. 1, in wake of confirmation that eight
Israeli hostages were killed in the Al Qaida-aligned attacks in Mumbai,
India. Nuriel, appointed in mid-2008, was responsible for monitoring threats
to Israelis abroad.
In a statement, Olmert's office said Nuriel was dismissed upon the
recommendation of National Security Council director Danny Arditi, Middle East Newsline reported. The
office said Nuriel, a former senior army commander, had been serving a trial
period.
The Counter-Terrorism Bureau, established in 1996, advises the prime
minister and the Cabinet. The office has also been responsible for gauging
threats to Israelis abroad and coordinating security at Israeli border
crossings.
Also In This Edition
Nuriel was dismissed after an unidentified senior Israeli security
official criticized India's operation to release the hundreds of hostages in
Mumbai. The criticism led to a harsh response by New Dehli and denials by
the Israeli government that it was dissatisfied with India's rescue efforts.
In all, nearly 200 people, including Westerners, were killed.
"Prime Minister Olmert expressed his great appreciation of the Indian
military's brave response and determination and said that bravery and
determination are the most important components in dealing with terrorism,"
Olmert said in a statement.