"I do not even want to think about what would have happened if the
attack had succeeded," Onal said.
"We were spared the district a great catastrophe," Ankara Gov. Kemal
Onal said on Tuesday.
The sources said Turkish authorities have concluded that the attempted
bombing was the work of Al Qaida. They said Al Qaida was probably aided by
Turkish operatives.
"There were warnings that Turkey would be the target of a 9/11 attack,"
a Turkish security source, referring to the Al Qaida suicide air strikes on
the United States in 2001, said. "The bomb we found could have killed
hundreds of people."
In 2003, 58 people were killed in Al Qaida truck bombings in Istanbul.
Last year, Turkey foiled another major Al Qaida bombing plot.