Worldwide Web WorldTribune.com

  breaking... 


Tuesday, August 28, 2007      New: Take a Stand

Lockheed Martin earns billions training thousands to guard Saudi oil

NICOSIA — Lockheed Martin has been selected to lead a multi-billion-dollar project to protect the oil sector of Saudi Arabia in one of the most lucrative contracts ever awarded to a U.S. company.

Industry sources said Lockheed Martin has been training thousands of recruits in an effort to organize a new Saudi force to protect crude oil facilities.

On Aug. 24, the Nicosia-based Middle East Economic Survey reported that Lockheed Martin could train up to 35,000 recruits for the new Saudi Facilities Security Force. MEES said that so far Riyad has recruited 5,000 people and would double this by 2010.

Also In This Edition

"It's a strategic project that ensures Lockheed Martin a major stake in the Saudi security market," an industry source said.

"The force is being equipped and trained by Lockheed in the use of state-of-the art defence technology including laser security and satellite imaging to help protect installations and the kingdom's extensive oil and gas pipeline network," MEES said.

The Facilities Security Force was announced in July 2007 by Saudi Interior Minister Prince Nayef Bin Abdul Aziz amid Al Qaida threats to attack the huge oil sector of the Gulf Cooperation Council kingdom. In February 2006, Al Qaida fighters burst through the Abqaiq refinery in the Eastern Province but failed to destroy the facility.

The Al Qaida attempt confirmed Saudi fears of a major insurgency strike on the kingdom's oil facilities. In November 2006, industry sources said, Riyad invited U.S. security experts to discuss ways to protect the Saudi energy sector.

The Interior Ministry has been responsible for the formation of the Facilities Security Force. The sources said the ministry pledged not to recruit from the military and paramilitary services.

The United States has also overseen an effort to modernize the Saudi Arabian National Guard, comprised of 75,000 people. The Bush administration also intends to sell at least $20 billion in weapons to Riyad.

Over the last two years, Saudi Arabia has succeeded in foiling numerous Al Qaida attacks. But the kingdom remains rife with unrest, particularly in the oil-rich Eastern Province.

On Aug. 23, a Saudi tribal leader called on Saudi security forces to join the opposition Movement for Islamic Reform in Arabia. The appeal was made by Al Ajman tribal chief Emir Faisal Bin Salman Bin Sultan, who fled Saudi Arabia in the 1990s and was now in Britain.

"I call on the security forces, the army and the national guard to join the Movement and put their forces at the disposal of the opposition," Faisal, reported to have a constituency of 300,000, said.

About Us     l    Contact Us     l    Geostrategy-Direct.com     l    East-Asia-Intel.com
Copyright © 2007    East West Services, Inc.    All rights reserved.
World Tribune.com is a publication of East West Services, Inc.