Worldwide Web WorldTribune.com

  breaking... 


Tuesday, October 9, 2007      New: Take a Stand

Sudan and militia forces level Darfour village

CAIRO — Sudan has launched a new offensive in the war-torn Darfour province.

Rebel sources said the Sudanese Army and Air Force have attacked rebel positions in southeastern Darfour over the last week, Middle East Newsline reported. The sources said at least 105 people were killed in a military strike on Haskanita, a rebel stronghold.

The United Nations, which operates in Darfour, said most of Haskanita's 7,000 residents have fled. UN staffers said the mosque and school were the only buildings left in Haskanita.

Also In This Edition

The military attack was aided by Sudan's regime-aligned Janjaweed militia, the sources said. They said Haskanita was destroyed in the air and ground assault.

The United Nations, which operates in Darfour, said most of Haskanita's 7,000 residents have fled. UN staffers said the mosque and school were the only buildings left in Haskanita.

On Monday, the Khartoum offensive spread to Muhajeria in southern Darfour, regarded as a neutral zone. Muhajeria has served as the base for a faction of the Sudanese Liberation Army that signed a peace accord with Sudan in 2006.

On Monday, the U.S. embassy in Khartoum expressed condemnation of the attack on Haskanita. The embassy statement called on the regime and rebels to "immediately end the cycle of violence" in Darfour.

On Sept. 29, the African Union base near Haskanita was attacked and 10 soldiers were killed. At that point, the AU peace-keeping force, which did not identify the attackers, withdrew and demanded that Khartoum secure the area.

"It's very troubling that a city which was under the control of the government of Sudan could be burned down," UN peace-keeping commander Jean-Marie Guehenno said on Monday.

The Sudanese Army said the destruction in Haskanita was caused by a fire rather than a military assault. An army spokesman dismissed the UN damage assessment.

At the same time, the UN, which has sought to organize a 26,000-member joint force with the African Union, has ordered the evacuation of staffers from Nyala, the capital of South Darfour. The UN order came amid attacks on aid workers and gun battles between government soldiers and rebels.

"There is a serious risk of the Darfour situation going beyond Darfour," Guehenno said.

About Us     l    Contact Us     l    Geostrategy-Direct.com     l    East-Asia-Intel.com
Copyright © 2007    East West Services, Inc.    All rights reserved.