This was the first time that an Al Qaida network issued an apology for
an attack. Islamic sources said the statement reflected a division within the
Algerian insurgency movement regarding its new policy of suicide bombings
and the targeting of civilians.
"There is a power struggle going on within the movement, and there is a
split between commanders as well as confusion within the rank and file," an
Islamic source familiar with the Al Qaida network in Algeria said.
The Al Qaida statement said an unidentified Al Qaida operative planned
the assassination of Kartali. The statement, signed by network chief Abdul
Malik Droukdel, said the operation was never approved by the Al Qaida
leadership. Previous statements by the Al Qaida network had been attributed
to the "Media Committee."
Kartali, a former Al Qaida-aligned commander was said to have ended
military operations in 1999 as part of an accord between the government and
the
Islamic Salvation Party. He has spoken out against Al Qaida and was
believed to have persuaded other insurgents to surrender to Algerian
authorities.
On Aug. 14, Kartali was injured by a bomb as he returned from mosque to
his home in Al Arba, about 30 kilometers south of Algiers. He was
hospitalized and was said to have been in stable condition.
The Al Qaida statement, however, justified the attack on Kartali.
Droukdel said anybody who abandons the Islamic war against the Algerian
regime would be targeted.
"He abandoned jihad activity and thus betrayed his companions," Droukdel
said.