by WorldTribune Staff, August 21, 2017
If you missed the “Great American Eclipse of 2017” on Aug. 21, you will have several more opportunities in the next decade, if you are willing to travel, to view an eclipse.
If you’re staying put, it will be much longer. A solar eclipse’s path passes where you live once every 375 years.
But, while for millions the great eclipse of 2017 makes for some great late-summer fun, some Christians see it as the ushering in of the Tribulation, a time the Bible describes as a period of conflict and suffering on a scale never experienced in mankind’s history.
Related: Is a silent God speaking through the weather?, Sept. 10, 2017
Pastor Paul Begley, host of the Coming Apocalypse radio show, said the 2017 eclipse could possibly fulfill a prophecy recorded in the book of Joel.
This states: “The sun shall be turned to darkness before the Day of the Lord come.”
Begley said “somebody sound the trumpet” because the eclipse may mean “we are living in the last days.”
Scott Clarke of ERF Ministries believes the eclipse is connected to a Sept. 23 astronomical alignment involving the constellations Virgo and Leo, along with Mercury, Mars, Venus and Jupiter.
On Sept. 23, Jupiter will exit the lower part of Virgo (the virgin) in a way that Clarke says fulfills the “man child” of Revelation 12 being birthed by the woman.
Clarke says Regulus and the other stars of Leo – along with the other three visible planets – comprise the “crown of twelve stars” that Revelation 12:1 says will be upon the travailing woman’s head.
“You’ve got this epic solar eclipse over America,” he says, “and it’s happening right at Regulus, in Leo the Lion – the constellation. There are twelve constellations. It could happen anywhere, but it’s happening in the constellation of the king, meaning the return of the king!”
Not everyone is convinced the prophecy has properly been decoded though.
Jeremiah Jacques wrote on Thetrumpet.com: “It’s not just sky-watchers who are stirred up about this cosmic occurrence.
“This spate of doomsday predictions surrounding the August 21 eclipse are only the latest round of attempts by men and women to interpret Bible prophecy.
“For untold centuries, individuals have endeavored to predict the future by reading their own meaning into Bible scriptures – but with an abysmal track record.”
If the end is not nigh, here are the upcoming solar eclipses:
- July, 2 2019, across South America and the Pacific Ocean.
- December 14, 2020, a total solar eclipse again crosses South America, some of the Atlantic, the Indian Ocean and Antarctica.
- December 4, 2021 a total solar eclipse passes south of Australia, some of South America, and all of Antarctica.
- April, 8, 2024 there will be a total solar eclipse in western Europe, North America, some of northern South America and the Arctic.
- August, 12 2026 in Europe, North/East Asia, North/West Africa, North America, and the Arctic.
- July, 22 2028 across Europe, northern Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Ocean.
- July 22, 2029 there will be a total solar eclipse that’s path crosses Australia.