Iran withdraws all nationals from Kirkuk after ISIL attack on power plant

Special to WorldTribune.com

Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty

Iran says it has recalled all its technicians and workers back from the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk following an Oct. 21 deadly attack by the extremist group Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL).

Four Iranians were among more than a dozen people killed in the attack on a power plant outside Kirkuk, reports said.

Power plant in Kirkuk after ISIL attack on Oct. 21. / Reuters
Power plant in Kirkuk after ISIL attack on Oct. 21. / Reuters
[Iran’s consul said that 80 Iranian workers and technicians had been operating at Kirkuk power station and Iran’s consulate general in the city of Sulaymaniyah, Xinhua reported. At least 24 people were killed and dozens of others wounded in multiple attacks by ISIL militants on police compound and other government buildings in Kirkuk on Friday morning. ]

The attack was strongly condemned by Iran’s Foreign Ministry.

Iran’s consul-general in Sulaymaniyah, Saadollah Massoudian, told the state news agency IRNA that all Iranian technicians have been transferred back to the country.

Massoudian said four Iranians have been wounded in the attack.

Kirkuk is an oil-rich city some 290 kilometers north of Baghdad and 170 kilometers southeast of Iraq’s second-largest city, Mosul.

Be Sociable, Share!

FACEBOOK Comments

Login To Your FaceBook to Make Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment Login